Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Onion

A story I wrote in YWC:

There was once a tiny little onion bud. Luckily, for this onion bud, it had a really good farmer. Everyday the farmer would come and feed it water and fertilizer.

In the ground, the onion and its friends grew with the tender care of the farmer. They learnt the hardship and goodship of friendship. They matured with time and put on layers. Together, they grew.

Then, one day, they were plucked from the ground. They were shocked, but they trusted their farmer. They were carried into the big place where the farmer lived and put on a wooden board.

The farmer peeled them, then started to dice them. "Help! Ouch! Ow!" they screamed in their oniony voices. They didn't understand this, the farmer they trusted was hurting them! The farmer heard some pleading voices, shrugged and brought the knife down again.

6 comments:

Daniel said...

Hi, I believe you are pointing the name "Daniel Tan" to the wrong blog. My blog.

And I remarked to Elliot that the ending smells of meaninglessness. Like a shrug when someone asks you about "purpose".

Maybe it was because you wrote it in like, 5 minutes? :P

*Shrugs*

sweebin said...

I don't agree, Daniel.

The ending is awesome - a chop of the knife that might leave readers blinking their eyes after they had been so caressed into that safe-haven, happy-onions growing world.

I know -- because I blinked and, like you, I went: Huh? Why end like that one?

And, so I looked again. What is the point here?

Now, I say it's a master cut. A cut that provoked me to think. Ah, so many layers to this story. So many layers. Makes me think of all you little children growing in Malaysia. We really have to change our farmer(s)!

From a doting mommy. HIS.

Jian Eu said...

To Misa: Thank you.

To Daniel: How would you end it for more meaning?

Jian Eu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

As a writer of ostensibly meaningless stories myself, I never said such endings are a bad thing. =)

I remember the story I presented at the last writer's camp which was utterly meaningless. Somehow your story reminded me of it. But that's just me.

Jian Eu said...

Yes. I talked with Ethan and I get what you mean.