Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More Expensive Fuel Please

I am an environmentalist. I am probably the only real environmentalist I know. Like Lisa Simpson in The Simpsons Movie, I go around knocking on doors trying to spread the message and getting those doors slammed in my face.

Fuel prices went up last week from RM1.92 to RM2.70. There are rumours that they might even crank up the meter to RM4 by July. If Malaysia is crying now because of a 78 cent increase, Malaysia will be wailing hysterically when it goes up to RM4.

I don't own a car so I'm not feeling the pinch as everyone else is. I'm not going to own a car anytime soon so I'm not worried about the price going up to RM4. In fact, I'm not worried at all.

My position is that Malaysia has been incredibly selfish. Children who are sheltered and pampered become spoilt. The Malaysian government has been the spoiler parent, covering up its precious rakyat from the terrors of the world market. More expensive fuel? We'll keep the prices low for the people by subsidising it with...the people's money!

My mom says the the increasing fuel prices is BN's vendetta against us. I say that it was bound to happen anyway. I'm actually pleased that fuel prices are going up.

Global Warming is a touchy subject but I believe that it really is real. I believe that it is a problem that has been thrown to humanity to solve. I also believe that it would take something big to change the mindset of people and nations.

Nothing seems to have worked so far. Trying to educate people, tugging at their heartstrings with images of polar bears drowning out of a lack of ice. But money might just do it. If money is the root of all evil, this time it could be the root that makes the broth that saves us.

So that's why I'm actually glad of more expensive oil, because it will force the world to reconsider itself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Politics and indulgent parents aside, I share your view that this is a problem that humanity must now solve...or else. It's time we start considering the stark fact that we can no longer go on treating this planet like a hotel.

Being an eternal optimist, I have great faith that we will see the light -- eventually.

sweebin said...

How true! Aim at the pocket and change will follow. I started two new car-pooled trips after the latest increase. It cost me RM82 to fill my old Wira just yesterday. I will have to remember your words everytime I approach a petrol station... otherwise, I am ready to start wailing hysterically RIGHT NOW!

stevecy said...

The prices of oil & food going up are due to speculation by hedge fund and it is not due to shortage nor other reasons. The hedge fund is owned by the rich and a lot of the pension funds from US, Canada & other European countries. Because of their speculation activities couple with misuse of information media creating artificial shortages, causes oil consumption countries start to buy to hedge. They find very profitable to move up the prices. This will continue to push up the price to create more wealth to themselves. At the end, the rich will be getting riches & laughing to the bank and the poor might have to starve and die. The wealth gap will even get wider and wider.
By not owning a car, you cannot stop the above game. We are consumers, we will be affected one way or another. With the fuel & food price going up, please do not tell me that you are not affected. As fuel price goes up, all food, goods and services that we enjoy, will go up either happen today or in near future, 3 - 6 months time. Those who can afford will continue to enjoy all these, those cannot afford will have to suffer but some might engage in illegal activities to survive, more and more crimes will happen and you and me will be amongst the victim.
To stop the game, it is not easy. I cannot stop it but we can do it. The person who can stop the rich man game (speculation) is the US President, Geoerge Bush and the US Congress. Stop the Nylex & whatever commodities exchange. Or set a ceiling price. Fix a price, say US40 per barrel or US25 (the price before move up) and ask oil producing countries sell direct to oil consumption countries at the price fixed. With this, the fuel & food will be back to normal, price at 2 years ago. But this, those are in speculation, hedge fund will suffer huge losses and the rich will suffer. But these losses are ploughed back from the previous gain, gain from the last 2 years.

Let start pressure US President to stop the game and save the world.

Besides these, we shall encourage to use alternative source of energy, like solar, wind etc. (Please also refer to energy from recycling) Promoting cycling, demand Govt to provide safer lane for cycling. Just name a few.